Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Taxes (AKA I Have Serious Feels About Public Education And I'm Not Really Sorry)

Taxes bother me. Not the doing them part (well no, that too), just, they don’t teach you how to do them.

Seriously, you take an average kid that hates math and force them to learn it, and really, beyond your basic math skills, no kid needs it. No kid unless they become a mathematician or a physicist or what-have-you needs math. And if they want to become these things? If they truly love math? They’ll take the courses. I took music for crying out loud and art. And those weren’t deemed ‘necessary’.

But we force kids to take courses they don’t like and don’t need.

But we don’t teach them how to do taxes.

I mean, seriously, taxes are this ridiculous, necessary evil of life and the whole goddamn world is like “Figure it out yourself. Oh you can’t? Well since you effed up, we’re just gonna take money from you for your mistake. I mean, how could you mess up filling out something WE NEVER TAUGHT YOU HOW TO FILL OUT? HAHAHA!”

You know who taught me how to do taxes? My mum. You know who taught me about girly things and how they do and don’t work? My sister and best friend. You know who taught me about how to make a resume and *actually* find a job and get an apartment and all these life things I needed to know? People and the internet. You know what didn’t? Public school.

You wonder why kids don’t want to sit in a desk learning a bunch of crap they don’t need when they’re well aware that absolutely everything they need to know in life they’re either going to learn from a random person in their life or the internet.

Somewhere down the line, a kid is going to be plunked down in front of a stack of papers they absolutely, 100%, *need* to fill out, and will continue having to fill out for the rest of their working lives, and they will have no fucking clue how to fill these forms out. But if they fill them out wrong, the government can take their money, or even put them in jail.

But who cares since you’re teaching them how to play Where’s Waldo with ‘x’ and ‘y’ graphs?

No comments:

Post a Comment